10/15/2011

What's been going on lately... lots of grilling and gardening. And work of course. :P

I've lived in Florida for three and half years now, and I've been dreaming of a little garden considered how you can really grow a lot of things in this climate. People in Florida can grow their own oranges on their back yards if they want to. Anyway, we lived in a small apartment until last June, when we lucked out and found this cute house for rent. Chris gave me a tomato plant and some cucumber seeds for my birthday. That was June though, and the weather in Florida in June is horrible. The beach is the only outside option for me, and I mean the beach on the east coast of Florida, the west has no breeze in the middle of summer, and of course we live closer to the west. So I wasn't doing a whole lot of gardening or any outside activity in June.

My cucumber plant packages told me that the earliest planting time in Florida is September, and apart from a few sweaty 15 minute walks, September wasn't the month to be outdoors for me either. Just way too hot and pouring rain every afternoon. So finally come October and I noticed a slight chance to the better. Finally something nice seems to be happening with this weather. The air has already cooled around 10 degrees fahrenheit, and it makes a difference.

I planted a bunch of different things this weekend. I have never really planted anything, so I am hoping for the best, and studying on what I need to do next. I didn't get any pictures outdoors yet, but there is not much than black mulch to see anyway. But here is a picture of some of the seed packages. Some of the veggies will be in containers and some on the ground.


I also made a compost box today. We went to Ikea a few days ago and I bought a big plastic container with a lid. I drilled air holes all over it and put all kinds of kitchen scraps and leaves in. It might not be big enough a container to really start the composting process, but I'm trying. :)

Here's a couple of pictures on the cats. They haven't been too happy that we've been spending so much time on the yard lately. They are very social and follow us to every room when we're in.



Nothing much else has been going on. I've tried to learn to make Nan bread, and although it's been really good, I still can't make it taste like the real deal. I of course eat my nan the way I eat any bread, with some cheese and cucumbers on it.





That's it for now, good night.



1 comment: